Part of managing your personal brand is managing your online networks.
Facebook continues to remain a rich social network that allows people to share photos, memories, links, tags, video and more. However, I hear over and over again that people are concerned with blurring personal and professional on the network.
Facebook’s friends lists make it easy for individuals to manage Facebook friends. They allow you to organize certain lists such as “Friends”, “Family” and “Business” and adjust your privacy settings for each.
A few friend list features a nutshell:
- You can add friends to more than one friend list.
- You can adjust privacy specifications for each list.
- However, privacy settings will always default friends to the most restrictive list they are a part of.
- You can easily send messages to an entire friend list. Just type the name of your list when composing a message (instead of an individual person) and it will send the message to all people on that list.
Create a list
1. Log into your Facebook account.
2. On the top left of your home page, click on “Friends”.
3. Click the button on the top right that says +Create a List.
4. Type in the names of friends to add to this list.
5. When you are finished adding all friends, click “Create List”.
Update Privacy Settings Using Your Lists
1. On the top right, click on “Account” and “Privacy Settings”.
2. Click “Customize Settings”.
3. Here is the page that lets you go through and choose who gets to see specific parts of your profile. If you click on the boxes with the drop down arrows, you can choose “Customize”.
4. A box will pop up that lets you block certain parts of your profile from individuals or entire lists. Simply type in the name of a list here and click “Save Setting”.
Cassie is a May 2009 University of Wisconsin-Madison Ag Journalism graduate. She recently joined SPARK Advertising in Neenah, Wis. as a public relations specialist. Find Cassie on Twitter, BrazenCareerist, and LinkedIn.